Wednesday

Cookery: A Useful Accomplishment...Or How to Eat A Giant Zucchini


" ' Lounging and larking don't pay,' observed Jo, shaking her head. 
 'I'm tired  of it and mean to go to work at something right off.' 
 'Suppose you learn plain cooking; that's a useful accomplishment, 
which no [one] should be without,' said Mrs. March."
--Louisa Mae Alcott, Little Women


     

 I was practicing the art of cookery today and wanted to share the results of making use of just one of those super~sized zucchini I had  mentioned HERE (bought from the farm stand, 3 for $1). 


 


My goal was to make small pizzas...using the zucchini as the crust. However, that idea was nearly squelched after seeding the centers--due to the gaping hole in the center of the zucchini rounds! 




I got around this by slicing very thin pieces from the narrow part of the zucchini and using it to cover the gap...you'll notice I also did a similar trick with a Roma tomato.  They both turned out tasty!





Here is a photo of the miniature zucchini pizzas as I put them into the oven.  I'm not sure if you can tell, but they are topped with marinara, mozzarella, diced tomatoes and (a few) pepperoni.  I baked them for 35 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven and they were delicious!  I don't have a picture of the finished product as both my phone and my camera battery died on me!  Note:  While we thought they were quite good, I'm not sure if children would be too excited about these as the zucchini becomes soft when cooked and must be eaten with a fork thereby losing the coveted status of finger~food...but Rosie and I liked them a lot!




While the oven was still hot, I decided to use the remains of my low~carb feast (primarily the zucchini)  to make oven-baked zucchini fries!






This was surprisingly easy to do!  I cut up the remaining, seeded, zucchini into same~sized pieces (see picture above) and set them aside while I put about a cup of bread crumbs, a teaspoon of garlic salt and about two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese into a zip lock bag and shook them up.  Next I dipped the pieces in an egg wash (one egg with a bit of water, well beaten) and them dropped them in the bag with the seasoned bread crumbs until they were covered.  I placed them all on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet where they were baked in the preheated 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes. 




 I served them forth using leftover marinara from the pizzas as a dipping sauce!

I still have two huge zucchinis to eat up...hmmm...perhaps I'll take the easy way out and grate and freeze them for recipes during the winter...or am open to suggestions!

Sending love and good thoughts to all, as always.
 Warmly,
Tracey and Family

x0x



3 comments:

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

They were pretty yummy Clarice...but I must admit that the zucchini fries were even better...something about the crunch!
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

The zucchini fries look wonderful! I always forget to make those and I think we'd enjoy them. I was watching a tv show where she made fries from butternut squash. Have you ever tried that? I imagine they'd be like sweet potato fries. Those are on my must try list just because I love the sweet potato ones!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Yummm...no I've not made the butternut squash fries but they DO sound amazing as I love squash of all kinds! Thanks for the suggestion Manuela!

These were so good and really super easy thanks to using the oven, but next time I think I'll add more salt as they were a little bland for our taste without it. I think we were all looking for the low carb french-fry fix which, once we added salt, we got! Of course, we bought that Pink Himalayan salt from Costco and it's surprised us at how good it makes everything taste...we are looking for things to put it on! :)
Love,
Tracey
x0x

The original "FRUGAL LUXURIES" ~ Based on the books by Tracey McBride ~ Established 1993

A warm Thank You to all kind souls and kindred spirits who generously take the time to leave a comment...your encouragement, trust and support are deeply appreciated...please know that we read each and every message and will respond as time allows.

~~~

Frugal Luxuries
is a registered trademark.


~~~


"FRUGAL LUXURIES: Simple Pleasures to Enhance Your Life and Comfort Your Soul" was written by Tracey McBride and published by Bantam Books, NY, in 1997. It was the first of its genre to synergize the elements of simplicity, frugality and gracious living.

After more than a decade, FRUGAL LUXURIES has never been out of print and is now more relevant than ever.

"It's our hope that a new generation, faced with a teetering economy, will also find this information helpful and enlightening."



Sending Good Thought to Our Special Band of Kind and Kindred Souls!

Frugal Luxuries Book I

Frugal Luxuries by the Seasons Book II

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Site Counter