Wednesday

The Luxury of Frugality: FREE Beauty...


Delight in Ordinary Things.

 
~~~~~~
It isn't a secret...I'm known for liking pretty things.  I spend way too many hours on Pinterest and perusing your blogs...all done for the sake of feeding this insatiable love of beauty.  It wasn't all that surprising then when a wave of appreciation came over me the other day as I surveyed our kitchen counter.  It was laden with fresh, locally grown vegetables (very frugally garnered from our favorite farm stand) as they rubbed shoulders with humble hand~fulls of the climbing roses I rescued from the trimmings pile as Mike pruned the two rose bushes on our back patio. Stuffed into glasses and set next to the fruit from our recent visit to the farm stand, they smelled heavenly and looked luxurious and lovely.   "Free beauty!" I thought to myself...much too lovely not to document with a photo and share with all of you good souls.
Sending love and good thoughts to all, as always.

Warmly,
Tracey and Family
x0x 

P.S. And it's especially nice to find free beauty in ordinary and/or discarded things...don't you think?!!

 ~~~


The Luxury of Frugality


"Every state of society is as luxurious as it can be."
--Samuel Johnson

~~~
Many people confuse luxury with opulence.  To understand luxury you must look at the true sense of the word.  The American Heritage Dictionary defines luxury as "something....conducive to pleasure and comfort," so to indulge in luxury you need only to focus on what brings you pleasure and comfort.  Does luxury have to mean diamonds and servants?  Or can if be a plump down comforter on a cold night or a bowl of wild blueberries picked at the peak of that fruit's brief seasonPracticing frugality allows you to organize your life and thinking in such a way as to control your own happiness.  One way this is done is by allowing yourself to delight in ordinary things and occurrences.

As Thoreau so eloquently stated,"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor."

Make a conscious decision, at this moment to appreciate what your own life has to offer in the way of frugal luxuries. 



  



18 comments:

Lorrie said...

Lovely thoughts on true luxury.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Your blog is one of my frugal luxuries Lorrie!
x0x

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I'm so glad you did take a photo! I always love seeing glimpses of your home.

Good healthy food and free pretty blossoms - what could be better!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty table your produce makes Tracey! I cut my daisy mums before the snow got here yesterday and have a huge bouquet in my breakfast nook- I think this is the last of the flowers from the garden till next spring. Now I get to have the frugal luxury of seeing the glistening snow transform the landscape for a bit.

A frugal luxury coming up- I get to go to Fl with my hubby as he has a hospice chaplain conference there! My first time there so I am a bit excited even though I will be discovering it mostly on my own while he is in his seminars.

bee blessed
mary

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Well said Clarice...I agree one hundred percent...being able to recognize beauty in ordinary things does take wisdom and feed the soul. :)
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Florida! What a wonderful frugal luxury for you Mary Ellen...especially now that you are having some snow on the ground and cold weather (although an occasional snow day would be a frugal luxury out here...it's supposed to be 90 degrees today :). Have a lovely and wonderful adventure.
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Thanks so much Manuela! I would show more but it seems to be always in a state of transition...not fit for public consumption hahahah! We have about five projects in the works right now but I'm hoping to have most of them finished up by December (except the new patio...it may have to wait 'til spring). I must say I LOVE seeing your pictures and btw your pic of the veggies you harvested from your garden last week were a feast for the eyes...more free beauty!
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

You always inspire me to see beauty all around. :)

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Ditto to you dear Brenda...you have no idea how timely your posts often are to me personally. They inspire, provoke thought and...on occasion...soul searching. :)
Love,
Tracey
x0x
P.S. Especially loved today's post on our lives being our own works of art.

La Table De Nana said...

Where have you been?I hope all is well with you..
You always have such a calming natural aura:)

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

You are so kind, thank you so much Monique for missing me. :) My husband was home from work for over six months with a broken leg and ankle problems! He is now healed nicely and back to work a few months ago...sooo...I am more free to create and spend time with you wonderful kindred spirits! I have missed you all and think of you often.
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Children of Eve said...

Very beautiful, and much appreciated.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

So happy to share my free/found beauty with an appreciator like you Eve.

I LOVED your post...especially te part about your daughter reading to you...it was poetry in the ordinary. They are lucky to have you as a mom...books were banned at the table during mealtimes when I was growing up (although far too many times I tried to sneak them in via my lap!).

Love,
Tracey
x0x

June said...

Tracey I love the quotes that you share here so much. I think we were meant to always seek after beauty in our days. Even the ordinary surroundings we view in our daily round have something to share.
I love your beautiful posts.
sending love...

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

June...such kind thoughts...thank you! I so enjoy your blog...your life is awash with free beauty...just glimpsing your gardens and the buckets filled with roses makes my heart pitter-pat...the beauty of it all! You do have a miraculous green thumb and an eye for beauty. :)
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Solange Honorato said...

Trayce, your post is wonderful! Happiness is the simple things in life!
As for me, I just bought my own house and I'm very happy.
Loved your visit! kisses

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Don't know how I missed our note Solange! So happy to see your name again! Congratulations on your new house...solo exciting for you! With our creativity I know it will be decorated charmingly.
Love,
Tracey
Xox

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

P.S. sorry about the typos!

The original "FRUGAL LUXURIES" ~ Based on the books by Tracey McBride ~ Established 1993

A warm Thank You to all kind souls and kindred spirits who generously take the time to leave a comment...your encouragement, trust and support are deeply appreciated...please know that we read each and every message and will respond as time allows.

~~~

Frugal Luxuries
is a registered trademark.


~~~


"FRUGAL LUXURIES: Simple Pleasures to Enhance Your Life and Comfort Your Soul" was written by Tracey McBride and published by Bantam Books, NY, in 1997. It was the first of its genre to synergize the elements of simplicity, frugality and gracious living.

After more than a decade, FRUGAL LUXURIES has never been out of print and is now more relevant than ever.

"It's our hope that a new generation, faced with a teetering economy, will also find this information helpful and enlightening."



Sending Good Thought to Our Special Band of Kind and Kindred Souls!

Frugal Luxuries Book I

Frugal Luxuries by the Seasons Book II

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Site Counter