Saturday

Homemade Holiday: The Gift of Dinner

"I am in the habit of looking not so much to the nature of a gift as to the spirit in which it is offered."
~~Robert Louis Stevenson







To print a larger view of this recipe right click "View Image" and then enlarge the image before printing.




I've been putting together a few Frugal Feasts for the Gift Pantry to give as token gifts to neighbors, friends and hosts/hostesses.  It's pretty simple, as you can see from the photos!  I take a collection of different types of beans and lentils, mix them nicely in a big bowl and then package them in pretty vintage or recycled jars.  Sometimes I make homemade chile'/taco seasoning and put three tablespoons of it, along with a dry bay leaf, in a small cellophane bag.  I've also used the taco seasoning mix I buy in bulk at Costco for this gift, in a pinch.  I'll carefully fold this packet, seal it with a small sticker, and place it atop the beans before I close the jar.  Other times, I'll simply include a store bought packet of chile seasoning: Slipped inside an appropriately sized envelope and hung like a tag along with the recipe (you will find the printable above) it creates a pretty presentation.  There are numerous variations of this gift, of course, depending upon my time and resources.  Sometimes the Calico Chile' is included as part of a larger gift basket that also offers side~dishes such as cornbread (a mix or freshly~baked), a small jar of honey butter and a bottle of sparkling cider.  Sometimes I'll include vintage silver spoons and/or servers (as in the picture above) and line the basket or box with a pretty table cloth or set of hand towels... or ... !  Quite often it's imagination and resources that make the decision.  It's all about using what's inexpensively and easily available to you at the time!  

Sending love and good thoughts to all, as always!

Warmly,
Tracey and Family
x0x   




15 comments:

Unknown said...

I always love your gift and packaging suggestions! I also like how it is gifting without adding more "stuff" or "clutter". Useful and attractive.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Thank so much for the nice note Diana! You are so right in that I like to give things that will not become dust catcher and are useful...mostly because of my practical nature :)...and also because these are the types of gifts I enjoy receiving. For example, I LOVE getting Roses, and always appreciate them when they do find their way to me, however, long ago I asked Mike (my husband) to save the money and buy a little rosebush or a potted herb in lieu of the cut versions and these have given me beauty to last many years (as opposed to a few days or a week).
Love,
Tracey
x0x
P.S. Got a a laugh from your chicken chickens!!!

Lorrie said...

Gifts like this are so great - people get to try new recipes, enjoy good food, and not have stuff lying around.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

You are right Lorrie...especially in a this sort of economy!
Love,
Tracey
x0x
P.S. Love your snowflakes embroidered on your table runner!

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a lovely treat to find your comment on my posting the other day.

And what a delight to slip in a moment with you as I sit in front of my 'puter.

And what a good gift idea...and as Diana and Lorrie already said, it's thoughtful and yet doesn't add to the clutter of our often 'too full in the closets' lives.





Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Hello Brenda! The delight was all mine. :) Thank you so much for the visit and good words!
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x
P.S. Loved your poetic post on Teas!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Awww...thank you Clarice...you're quite a sweetie yourself. Speaking of sweeties... that peppermint chocolate trifle-y thing you posted about the other day made me drool! I have been thinking about it ever since!
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I always like to give special treats like these as gifts. Yours looks so pretty in the vintage jar with the spoon attached. Great idea and always so appreciated:-)

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Thank you so much Betsy...I feel the same way and reallly enjoyed your post on those charming holiday trees...you really transform things so prettily!
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

You always have lovely ideas to make the presentation special.

I had to smile at your roses comment. I'm the same way give me a rose bush over cut roses any day!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

With your gorgeous garden Manuela it would be a shame to spend a penny on cut roses! LOVED your gift towers flanking the front porch of your house...you amaze!
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Children of Eve said...

Hmm, you have my mind racing now with Pantry Dinner ideas. Thank you for spurring us on to frugal, useful and beautiful living.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I think this mixture is so beautiful, I'd keep them out as a country style decoration!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Good idea Brenda! Maybe on a shelf with a few other pantry pretties?!
Love,
Tracey
XoX

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Eve, it was your soup post a while back that put my mind to this! It never ceases to amaze me how sharing ideas (and other things) always begets more and better...kind of miraculous. :)))
Love,
Tracey
XoX

The original "FRUGAL LUXURIES" ~ Based on the books by Tracey McBride ~ Established 1993

A warm Thank You to all kind souls and kindred spirits who generously take the time to leave a comment...your encouragement, trust and support are deeply appreciated...please know that we read each and every message and will respond as time allows.

~~~

Frugal Luxuries
is a registered trademark.


~~~


"FRUGAL LUXURIES: Simple Pleasures to Enhance Your Life and Comfort Your Soul" was written by Tracey McBride and published by Bantam Books, NY, in 1997. It was the first of its genre to synergize the elements of simplicity, frugality and gracious living.

After more than a decade, FRUGAL LUXURIES has never been out of print and is now more relevant than ever.

"It's our hope that a new generation, faced with a teetering economy, will also find this information helpful and enlightening."



Sending Good Thought to Our Special Band of Kind and Kindred Souls!

Frugal Luxuries Book I

Frugal Luxuries by the Seasons Book II

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Site Counter